Monday, August 3, 2009

First Day of School!

Today was the first day of school. This day did come much faster than it did last year. I had fun all summer with my kids, but I am ready for them to go back. I think they are ready as well.

Micah is going to 1st grade. I think one of the fun things about a new school year is having a new school teacher. Well, when he found out who his teacher was going to be, he was --- slightly disappointed, then got over it. His teacher from last year moved up from Kindergarten to 1st and he has been assigned to her again. Don't get him wrong. He loved his teacher from last year, but I think he was more disappointed in the fact that it wasn't a new name, more than anything. Like I said, he got over it and is happy about it.

Kara, thankfully got who she wanted, along with her BFF. Whew, dodged that bullet of "why can't Emma and I be in the same class." Kara is getting braver and braver with life, and goes now into the classroom on her own, not without a kiss and hug of course. When Randy and I walked away, she was sitting next to this big boy and had the look of "(Grrrrr.) I'm not comfortable sitting here." LOL!

Tyler is the big man on campus now, well, almost. He's in 5th grade (that came way too fast). I'm especially excited because in this school, 5th graders start to be involved in the AVID program. Basically a program that helps kids be organized with their school work. He came home with a different attitude, it was one I hadn't seen before. It was an attitude of "I need to be organized". (Cue the hallelujah's).

Leigh is now in the 7th grade! All of 6th grade year and summer, she was worried about going into Intermediate School. When questioned why, her reply was that the kids were scarier there. I told her there was nothing to worry about. The day came to pick up her schedule. I think the excitement in the air maybe changed things because after that, she couldn't wait to start! She had her first day, going from class to class, figuring out where everything was, who was in her class, and what the teachers were like. I laughed when I read her schedule because she had 2 teachers that I had when I attended Kahuku HS. Also, (my roommates from college will laugh) she has a good friend of mine from college as her Science teacher (Kaniela Kalama). The first day of school when he called her name, he said out loud in front of the whole class, "I used to work with your mom." She said it was only slightly embarassing (LOL.) She came home happy declaring herself a "Red Raider" now.

We've been back in Hawaii for a year now and I feel that the kids have adjusted. Everyone is happy with life ------ for now (haha).

1 comment:

M2 (Melissa) said...

Say hi to Kaniela - I love that your kids keep running into our college friends! Such a crack up!