Wednesday, September 2, 2009

A visit from Pompa!

Some of you may already know that my parents are temporarily living in the Gilbert Islands. Along with overseeing the church facilities in the Gilbert Islands , my dad is also in charge of the Marshall Islands. The flight from the Gilbert Is. to the Marshall Is. is actually about 1 1/2 hrs. Unfortunately, there is no such flight. So, when my dad needs to go the Marshall Islands, he flies from there to Fiji, then to Hawaii, then to the Marshall Islands. Guess who he visits with in Hawaii?! -----Yay me!!


This past weekend, my dad stopped over and stayed with us. It was such a great visit. From the moment he arrived at our house Friday morning, he and I talked, and talked, and talked. We got some work errands done that morning, then I took him out to lunch. Micah joined us because he was home sick that day (poor guy). We went to Leilei's Restaurant at Turtle Bay Resort. The food was great! We got home, and my dad took Micah out, while I took a nap. When I woke up, the kids were home from school. We planned some menu items for dinner, then went back to the store with Pompa (one of my niece's calls him this), to buy the ingredients. Leigh and Grandpa made otai, while I made chicken enchiladas. Dinner was great.

Then a fishing trip was planned. Tyler and Grandpa made some more trips to the store to get bait and other goodies. We were up BEFORE the crack of dawn on a Saturday morning ----- 4:45am to be exact! We drove down to Haleiwa and began our fishing adventure.

In case any of you have never seen this phenomenon, this is what it looks like outside BEFORE the crack of dawn (LOL!). Dark! The guys getting all their baits and poles ready.

Our novice fishermen.

Kara, handling some bait.

Here's what Micah caught (haha!). Nah, that's the bait they used.

Yay! The sun was starting to come up. Randy and the kids casting, waiting for that bite.

Here's what they caught. Any guesses? Leave a comment.


Randy and Micah getting their hooks prepped.

Granpa showing Micah how to cast.

I was trying to be "artsy" with this shot. I need a real camera.

Eventually, the kids decided to play with the bait. There is a barracuda in the cooler that Grandpa caught. Any guesses yet on what Randy and the kids caught?

The boys. Grandpa forgot to turn and smile.

We had such a great time! We went home exhausted and it was only 10:30am (LOL!). That night my dad and I stayed up talking. It was so fun. We went to church the next day. Came home and had a nice dinner. We watched home videos and then it was time for Pompa to go on to the next leg of his trip. We were all sad after he left. The great thing though about being a stop-over on the way over, is that we get to be a stop-over on the way back. Yay me!! Grandpa will fly in next weekend before heading home. We already have plans in the making.

6 comments:

Mark and Jessica said...

Is that a squid they caught? Did they keep it? Looks like a lot of fun, and I love that Micah is in his spiderman outfit (halloween costume?). That's classic!

JeanAnitaNiu said...

oh so cute, Malie! I'm so jealous! Wish I was there!
aloha,
mom

The Maire Family said...

oh man that brings back memories. Not necessarily of getting up to go fishing but being up before the sun rose to either read scriptures or do exercise. He is such a morning person and you're like him. I'm like Mom, I like my morning sleep-ins. hehe

Jesmyluk said...

Looks like a squid or octopus to me as well. Also it looks like a lot of fun & oh so pretty there. The "Artsy" picture turned out beautifully! I miss all of you so much!

Jesmyluk said...

Oh, and I LOVE Micah's "Bait"!! LOL

Trish said...

sooo. . . what was it?