Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Happy St. Patrick's Day!!

So if you've been following my blog since last year, you might have read that every year I make corned beef and all the other "American Irish" foods that go on sale at the store (all you corned beef haters quiet down). Well, being that I am on an island now, the competition for such items are fierce here, especially when it goes on sale. I didn't remember to buy my brisket till the morning of St. Patty's Day. Of course they were all sold out and offered a discount on Pork Butt. Aaaah! I walked over to the bakery section to seek out some Irish Soda Bread. No soda bread. I asked the people manning the bread area if the sold the stuff and their reply was that they have never even heard of it. What!! (Big sigh). In fact, someone from the bakery came to find me and ask me what Irish soda bread was. I explained it to her and she asked me if I had a recipe to give them. I thought that that was funny that they were asking me for a recipe. I'm gonna have to find a good one to give them. We always have corned beef and soda bread. After a few texts from friends and a conversation with my Irish friend Jess, I decided that I was gonna have to make some real Irish food for dinner.
Now, that leads me to a question. Why the obsession with having Irish food? I'm not even Irish! I think I'm just a sucker for traditions, and this is kind of a tradition that the whole country does, for the most part.



I went online and with the help of my personal chef, Leigh, we whipped up an Irish dinner. Here it is, Guiness Irish Stew (minus the Guiness), homemade soda bread, mashed potatoes, and some broccoli (probably not 100% authentic, but it tasted good). It was delicious. Leigh honored us with some Irish apple pie. Now I have to look for recipes for next year.

3 comments:

Tiana and Papa Sika said...

haha, looks good Malie. Maybe you couldn't find any corned beef brisket because all the Tongans over there bought it out to make their Lu pulu masima (hahaha!).

Malie said...

Haha, that's true. I didn't think of that. Yeah, forget St. Patrick's day, they are saving it for Sunday's dinner.

Wisconsin Watsons said...

I LOVE soda bread! We make it about every other weeks. It's a great way to use your food storage! Miss you, Terri