Friday, April 17, 2009

Local Foods

To all my friends in AZ, this post is for you. A lot of times I mention different foods that we eat here in Hawaii, and I get questions about what that is exactly. It finally dawned on me to post pictures of them.

Self explanatory. These are staples that you will find almost anywhere on the island. The main entree are usually teriyaki beef, teriyaki chicken, and kalbi ribs, all served together.

Onigiri. Different styles. It is basically a rice ball with seaweed.

Mochi. These are fancy ones. Randy is good at making mochi and my kids LOVE it!

Manapua. My personal favorite when I'm pregnant. It is a bun with char siu pork inside. Kind of a local chinese dish.

The ever popular lunch of kids on the island ----- Spam musubi. It is just like the onigiri except you slap on a slice of spam that was cooked in a little bit of teriyaki sauce. Mmmmm.

There you go. Now you will have an idea of what I'm taking about when I mention the above in future posts.

Aloha!!!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

That spam one is hilarious.

Jesmyluk said...

Okay so the first one the "typical lunch plate, the Mochi and the Manapua sounds heavenly you can keep your seeweed and your spam thank you. =) LOL Actually I don't mind a little spam but that much looks like too much. At least to me.

~ Joy ~ said...

Ono Post. Time for Kanak Attack!

shauna said...

Darn you. Curses. I wonder if I have some spam?

theniufamily said...

Oh I love that post! You are so right because I try to tell other people about what we eat and they don't understand! Great pictures. I still don't think I have had a couple of those things. Seen and hear of all of them I just need to try them!

shauna said...

Still hungry.

Kahanu said...

Mmmmm...I'm hungry now!