Saturday, February 27, 2010
Tsunami
Friday night I was at work. At around 9pm, one of our co-workers informed us that Chile had an earthquake and that there was a tsunami advisory. Not being too alarmed by this, I though I'd better let Randy know, just in case. I texted him and tuned into the news. At about midnight, the advisory was bumped up to a warning. This seemed like it was for real now. The news was saying that the tsunami would hit us at about 11:15am. The sirens were set to go off at 6am. I wasn't too worried because we live on a hill, away from the evacuation zones. At one point, we did call our boss to let her know what was going on. All night, we received calls from employees to the hospital making sure we knew what was going on. At 3am, my mother-in-law called inviting us to come and sit out the tsunami at her house. I called my husband and let him know. We made the decision to stay put. We didn't want to risk getting stuck on the road, since half the drive was along the coast. My sister-in-law later called with the same invitation. I would have loved to go hang out with family, but my husband was right. We needed to just stay put. As my shift was nearing it's end, our disaster team came in. We had a meeting, discussing what needs to be done. It was interesting to be a part of that. Our biggest concern was making sure we weren't inundated with people. When I was done at the hospital, Randy picked me up. On the hospital grounds were people who had evacuated there, BBQing on the lawn, having a good old time. Only in Kahuku. LOL! I got home, and my husband had filled all the coolers we had with water. I actually felt better knowing that. I showered and crashed. Yup. I slept right through all the tsunami excitement. I awoke to find that one of our home teachers had dropped off MRE's for our family. I felt so "taken care of". If this experience wasn't enough of a motivator to get my 72hr kits ready, I don't know what will. I've got a good start. Wish me luck.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
At least we are all prepared now in case another one comes! That was a crazy day!
PS. Great job on the Aloha Run!
I'm so glad you were all safe and sound!! That would be so crazy to know that a tsunami was coming your way. Good luck getting your kits together!
This is such a good story! You write so well, just like Auntie Ellen...gotta get those pictures of people on the Moroni HS roof up on my blog. love you, marere!
I thought about you all day that day. So glad that everyone was safe and that nothing serious happened. All these earthquakes SHOULD get me motivated to start on our 72 hour kits because we could easily have a big earthquake here.
Another reason to always be prepared!
yes, you slept thru all the excitement AND thru all of my text messages making sure you were ok!!!
Thank goodness I am tenacious & refused to accept silence. ;D
So glad it was nothing to worry about after all & that you are all safe!
Post a Comment