Thursday, May 20, 2010

Tyler for President


Tyler was approached by the advisor for Student Body Government and encouraged to run for President for the next school year. He thought about it, asked the advisor who else was running. She said only 3 other girls. He smiled and said yes he would. He came home and explained what happened and then explained that he had good odds, "The girl votes are going to be split while I get all the boy votes, so I think I have a good chance of winning." Hmmmm. Smart thinking.
So the campaign began. Rules at Kahuku elementary were that the children had to make their own posters from scratch. The only thing comptuerized could be their picture. So Tyler set to work, after a couple of tries, he came up with this big poster for the cafeteria and 5 mini ones to put in different classrooms. He asked kids to vote for him. He was getting excited.
Yesterday, was the big day. All the candidates had to give a speech in front of the entire 3rd, 4th, and 5th grades. He wrote his speech the night before and practiced and practiced until he had it memorized. He didn't want an ordinary speech. He wanted his to be different and a little more audience involved. Here's his speech:

Aloha Boys and Girls!
My name is Tyler Sasaki and I'm running for Student Body President.
Awesome assemblies, is that what we want?! (audience: YEAH!)
Fun student activities, is that we need? (audience: YEAH!)
I want to make it the best year ever for you all, but to do that I need you to vote for me!
So when I say "VOTE FOR" you say "TYLER!"
VOTE FOR (audience: TYLER!)
VOTE FOR (audience: TYLER!)
VOTE FOR (audience: TYLER!)
Vote me!
Tyler for president. Thank you!

I was able to watch him give his speech. I was sooooooo nervous for him, but he did it. He did it all from memory, and delivered it well. I think he was surprised that the kids actually responded with enthusiasm at all the right parts. That night he was glad that the speech part was done, but anxious to find out the results.
One of the girls had dropped out, leaving it to be two girls and Tyler. After watching the speeches, it was obvious that the competition was between Tyler and one of the girls. There was equal cheering when each took their turn to speak.
The results were posted this morning. Tyler was in such a hurry to get to school. We got over there as soon as we could. He looked at the list and saw that the other girl had won.
Seeing the look of disappointment and hurt in his eyes was one of those moments that go on my "hard-to-be-a-mom" list. I told my husband that sassy and disobedient kids, I can handle and get over, but when they hurt, that kills me. I really hurt that day for my son.
He was sad for the day. We still went out for ice-cream. We explained to Tyler that we were proud of him for being courageous and willing to do something like that. Even though he lost, I know he gained great experience from it all. He still has that desire to be involved with his school. We'll figure out something. We are proud of you Tyler!

**In case you were wondering, cause we were. The girl who won had about 140 votes and Tyler had about 110, the other girl had 20. He gave her good competition I thought.

6 comments:

Mark and Jessica said...

Go Tyler! You did great and I'm sure the election was close. I hurt when my kids hurt too (not to mention when any kids hurt as I teared up when the results were announced). What a great experience and I hope he does it again.

Wisconsin Watsons said...

I agree...I ache during those moments...it's the hardest part about being a parent, not being able to take that type of hurt away. I'm proud of him, though. It'll make him stronger! You're a great mom.

The Maire Family said...

Wow Tyler, I can't believe you were able to give a speech from memory in front of all those kids. I would've freaked out! You are awesome for even running!

Tiana and Papa Sika said...

Great job Tyler, we are proud of you too!!! Ofa Atu, Your Aunty, Uncle and cuzzies

Jesmyluk said...

Tyler you are the winner in our eyes! Because you put yourself out there & because you have a heart that is never going to let you down! Way to be Tyler!!

The hardest part of being a mom is seeing pain on your child's face, in their eyes & hearing it in their voice...whether its physical or emotional.

Why? Because we know that the pain is an important part of learning & that we can't & shouldn't do anything to stop them from the experience. No matter how desperately we want to make it better.

I imagine this is how our Heavenly Father feels while watching us from his place in the sky.

tfreeman said...

Malie, I love your blog for this very reason: you include EVERYTHING important to you, not just the stuff that paints an always rosie picture AND you still see the good in all that life brings you! Love and miss you all! P.S. Tyler has my vote for next year!! ;)