Thursday, July 31, 2008

My Baby's First Day of School

My kids started school at Kahuku Elementary School, July 29th. They do it a little different for the Kindergarteners there. Micah started school on the 31st. Let me start off by saying that I can't believe this day has come, that my baby is in school! There were days when I thought I wouldn't make it, and there were days that it made me sad to think about it. Of course, being that it's Micah, it was an eventful morning. Driving over to the school, with backpack loaded, he was ready to tackle Kindergarten. As soon as he walked through the door, all of that courage left and he changed his mind. He didn't want to stay (I was afraid of that). He clung to me and wouldn't let go. The teacher suggested that I go with him to the office to pay for lunch and when upon returning he had to stay, "Okay Micah, that's the deal." she said. Micah looked at her with that look in his eye, "Whatever lady." We walked over to the office, paid for lunch and began walking back. Micah began to whimper, knowing what was happening. He then took off to go hide. He hid under one of the staircases. I found him, picked him up and carried him. He was crying softly, telling me that he was scared. I tried to tell him that there was nothing to be scared of and he would be fine. I got to the classroom and the teacher informed me that someone was coming to help her. In walked Mr. Kalama (one of my really good friends from college, and the school counselor). First day of school and already has to see the counselor (LOL). I had to laugh, because it was slightly embarrassing that it was me this time with the screaming kid, and my friend had to deal with it. I gave Mr. Kalama permission to hold Micah while I left. He was kicking and screaming and crying as I walked out the door. Was I upset? No, just frustrated. I knew he would be okay once I left. At 1pm, I went to pick Micah up (half-day for the 1st day for him). He was all smiles and said he had fun. The teacher said that he had been fine once I left. I asked Micah if he was going to go to school like a big-boy next time, he said, "Yeah. If that guy is there again. He was nice." I laughed. I explained that if he comes again, it's because he's in trouble. He said, "Oh." Should be a fun year.

9 comments:

Jesmyluk said...

Poor Micah!!! It hard to be little. I can't wait to hear more tales from Kindergarten. LOL

shannen said...

Awww...poor Micah boy! Sounds like a rough first day for mother and son, although for slightly different reasons ;o) Hopefully by next week it'll be old hat to him! I can't believe you're all done! All of your kids are in school now! You made it! 2 more weeks and I'll be there too (only I only had half as many so the reward can only be half so great!)

Malie said...

I don't know. We may still have issues, because he doesn't go back until next Thursday. From then on he goes everyday. It's kind of weird I know. I wish he was going at least twice a week because he was all too happy not to be going to school today.

Anonymous said...

Micah, I love the picture of you on your first day of school (very island style!). We are so proud of you braving out the day and it makes me excited for Lupe to start next year. I hate to think that I still have a long way to go before all kids are in school!
Love,
The Sika's

Karen Russell said...

OH....Poor Micah. You are so mean to leave him at that horrible place! LOL. I hope things go better next time! (cough) GOOD LUCK!!

P.S. I can't believe he is in Kindergarten!!! Has it been THAT long since we have seen you?? GOSH!

M2 (Melissa) said...

I love it! How is Keawe - say hello to him the next time your kids have to see the school counselor. I am so jealous that you are there! We will see how our first day goes!

Mark and Jessica said...

I'm so excited for the day when all of mine are at school. . .I'm hoping that given Robbie's easy going attitude it will go much better for me and I won't have to deal with the screaming child.

I remember doing that with Marcus as a kindergartner on the bus where I walked down the aisle, shoved him off of me and had a neighbor boy hold onto him while I got off assuring the bus driver he would be just fine. And he was! Good luck with keeping him intersted in school!

The Maire Family said...

How cute! I can't wait for Lauralei to start preschool in November. I think she'll be alright. When I went there to drop off her application, they let her do some painting and she did NOT want to leave. I hope you have a great time in school Micah and try not to get in too much trouble! :)

The Houston Family said...

WOW! I thought our schools started early! Glad to hear the big guy survived the first day. Go Keawe for making the day!

M