Saturday, October 25, 2008

Dinner & Dancing!

Those of you who went to BYUH, remember those days of going to the school balls? Kind of like prom but older. Do you remember all the angst of getting a date, finding the right dress (which in our LDS culture is maybe a little more stressful, seeing as not only do you have to find a dress that you like, it's gotta appropriately cover your anatomy. But I digress). Well, maybe Randy and I are in denial of getting older, but we decided to relive those days again, except after being married for 12 years, we subtracted the angst and just had fun. We saw the Fall Ball as an opportunity to do something different for a date. We dropped our kids off with my sister-in-law and headed to the Koolau Ballroom.
From getting the tickets till we left the event, we were occasionally reminded of our place in life. When buying the tickets, the guy helping had to stop and think for a second after I informed him that no, we weren't students. He said in surprise, "Oh, you're not students." I guess he had to jog his memory for the training he recieved for the off-chance that a staff member in old-age-denial would buy a ticket for the ball. Maybe the advertising on the posters that staff and faculty are invited is just for sake of avoiding being seen as ageist (is that a word?).
Old or not, it was so much fun to get dressed up and attend this event. They had a buffet with good food! Another reminder came at dinner when some students were sitting at our table. They did not say a word to us. They were probably bummed and thinking they got the chaperone's table. LOL.
After the dinner, they had two areas for dancing, one with a DJ and one with a live band. Randy and I danced the night away. We left at about midnight (the event didn't end till 1:30am). Got to bed at 1:30am, then had to be up at 6am for some church things going on. Here was our last reminder for the night, while we were there, we ran into my siser-in-law's nephew, who incidently is waiting for his mission call. He knows us and talked to us for a bit. . He was very surprised to see us there. I had to laugh when he hesitantly asked if we were at the ball as "leaders". I wanted to say, "Look here you young whipper-snapper" (Just kidding, I didn't). I smiled and said, "No. We're just here to have fun like you." His expression to that reply was hilarious. The look said, "Huh. Really. Weird." LOL.
Thank you Randy for a fun night, and thank you to Aunty Julie who had the kids sleep over her house.

3 comments:

M2 (Melissa) said...

I LOVE It! That would have been crazy to be the adults at one of those dances! They were stressful then but they would be so much more fun now! We are going to have to come visit!

Jesmyluk said...

How fun!! And How Funny!! I love that you went to a dance with the students and gave them all food for thought. "Hmm, maybe life doesn't end when you get married." LOL

Wisconsin Watsons said...

I love that the romance stays alive. You are as beautiful as always!