Thursday, July 29, 2010

The USS Missouri

This month for Cub Scouts the theme was celebrating our freedom. I usually like to do a big activity for the month centered around the theme. So I set up a field trip to the USS Missouri. One of the great benefits of living in Hawai is that there is actually a lot of American history here due to the strong military presence. I thought taking the boys to see a real battleship would help make history seem real. If you've never gone, I highly recommend that you do.

(WARNING: Lot's of pictures)




Those are some big guns.

This was our tour guide, explaining about the bomb that he's pointing to.

This is the spot where the treaty to end WWII was signed. Just the information alone that the tour guides share with you is neat.


A replica of the ship.

Looking out to the side where Japanese tried to attack the Missouri.

The boys lining up.

Mess hall.

REALLY close quarters. Makes you appreciate the sacrifice those soldiers went through for us.

Micah at the controls ----- just don't press that "red" button.

View from the top.

The USS Arizona can be seen. The memorial of where the war started and the ship where it ended.



Done with the tour. Man was it hot!

The kids were famished by the time it was lunch.

End of the day. It was a lot of work to set up the tour, but I tell you what made it worth it. Driving home, one of the boys in the van said, "That was a lot of fun. Will we do more stuff like that Sis. Sasaki?" That put a big smile on my face. Yes, we will!

No comments: