Thursday, April 24, 2008

Oops, he did it again!


*Warning, this post is not for those with weak stomachs.

Every family has one, the kid with all the accidents. Tyler's our kid. We love him, but he needs a protective bubble around his whole body. I'm actually amazed we've made it this far without any hospitalizations. I take it back. We did. After this most recent stint (we'll get to it in a minute), Tyler and I counted out the different accidents he has experienced this school year. I noticed a theme as we discussed the types of accidents he's had. ALMOST. Tyler ALMOST broke his face with his skateboard doing tricks. He ALMOST broke his arm trying to do the monkey-bars backwards with his eyes closed (he calls it freestyling on the monkey bars). He ended up with a bowed fracture which is what it sounds like, he bent his bone. How do you fix that you ask, with a splint. He ALMOST lost vision in his right eye after being impaled by a broom bristle (don't ask).We had a great specialist that did emergency eye surgery and saved his vision. And now, he ALMOST broke his foot. Actually, we don't even know whether he did or not. Which I know begs the question, what happened? Well, long story short, he fell from his bunk bed. We took him in thinking that it was nothing. Even the doctor thought he was okay, but sent us for an x-ray anyway. What do you know, a possible fracture was seen. After seeing the orthopedist, his evaluation was basically that they could not get a good visual of where the fracture might be. To play it safe they casted Tyler for 3 weeks and will recheck it then. This is one area of life where I'm glad that my kid does not give 110% and follow through going all the way with his injuries (I am being very sarcastic). On a serious note, I am very thankful that Tyler has come away from these accidents pretty much unscathed. He has also been a trooper with it all, having a good attitude and taking it in stride. What does Tyler think of his new accessories? At first it was cool to get a cast and crutch ---- 3 hours later, he decided that crutches stink and the cast is hot and heavy. I've decided that both the crutch and cast are a hazard to his good leg, not to mention the rest of his body. (Big sigh) It's going to be a long 3 weeks.

1 comment:

Jesmyluk said...

ROFLOL poor Tyler. More importantly poor you!!! Lucky Randy. HA HA. Well that which does not kill us only makes us stronger...Tyler should be Superman by the time he's a grown up. LOL