Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Still Broken

Yesterday we visited our pediatrician here in Hawaii, Dr. Yee. He's an excellent doctor, almost too excellent. He was able to detect the slight heart murmur in Leigh, and discovered the hip click in Tyler. I jokingly said to Randy , "Well, maybe he can find something wrong with our other two kids." Nah, he's excellent and am glad that he's the kids' doctor. I took Tyler in to follow-up with his cast situation. We were referred to an orthopedic specialist. He looked at Tyler's x-rays and had the cast removed. I'm glad the doctor had a sense of humor because he was laughing at what we found under that cast. There was sand and dirt everywhere. The upper half of Tyler's foot was covered in dirt. I do wash him, but that part I can't get to. So the doctor handed him some wipes and had him clean his own leg. They re-xrayed his foot and found that it had not healed. (Big sigh). So, he needed another cast. As I watched the tech reapply a cast to Tyler, I knew his sisters were going to be upset. We've been in Hawaii for 1 week now and have not been to the beach. We are trying to be good and wait until Tyler's cast comes off. It would help if my son would quit running and jumping on it. Could that be why it's not healed yet? I mentioned this to the doctor and he's eyes became big when I was serious about Tyler running and jumping on his cast. He said, "Yeah (very sarcastically), no running or jumping on the cast Tyler." I must say, he has been taking it easy so far, granted it's only been one day. I explained to Tyler if he is not compliant, I'm going to have them put him in a body cast in order let his foot heal. Tyler picked a nice, can't-miss-it, fluorescent-green colored cast. His reasoning for the color was so that signings on his cast would be more visible. Sounds logical to me. 3 more weeks, in case you were wondering.

2 comments:

Jesmyluk said...

Did the girls ever have to chop off his leg? LOL I am curious as to how long it took to finally heal all the way. And how you got the other 3 to remain patient until then? So glad to hear from you guys again. We miss you all so much!!!

shannen said...

Poor Tyler...so has the new cast been removed yet? Hopefully the 2nd time around he treated it more like a broken leg with a little less jumping and running on it! ;o) I'll never forget when he was over here and I caught him on the trampoline, jumping in his cast. hehe...funny kid!

Hopefully the girls have been able to go to the beach many times now - if my brother kept me from going to the beach, I don't know how patient I would be :)