Thursday, December 11, 2008

Flash Flooding!

When we woke up on Thursday, there was RAIN! LOTS OF RAIN!! And just like the song, "the rains came down, and the floods came up!" Thankfully, we live on higher ground and were not touched by the flood waters. My kids walk to and from school almost every morning, and I always hear complaining about "why do we have to live on the highest hill in town?!" You can bet that they are not complaining now (hehe). School was cancelled for the kids. We called BYUH and they said that the school was still open. Randy got ready for work and I drove him down to BYUH. At least I tried. Every entrance way to BYUH was flooded out. We turned around and headed home. We could see the flood waters though throughout Laie. (I stole these pictures off my cousin Alvina's blog. Thanks Vina).





It reminded me of the floods we had when I lived in Laie back in 1981. One of few vivid memories I have from my childhood. We went home and just spent a rainy day indoors. By the afternoon, the rain stopped, and the waters began to recede. I'm so thankful that we were not affected by the flood. That night on the news however, there were not so lucky people. Many homes in other parts of the island were hit hard by the floods losing everything.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, that's a lot of water. Glad to hear things were okay with you guys. Good luck with it all.

Jesmyluk said...

LOL Love that guy in the boat with the paddles just going for a float down the street! I am so glad you are up high! Seriously scared me there when I saw all that water...but knowing you guys are safe makes it easier to see. Take care of yourselves! I know I am not Jenni but please do that for me. LOL 80)