Friday, December 19, 2008
In the Classroom
This morning I had a fun time. My sister-in-law invited me to come to her classroom of 7th graders and share with them things about Tonga. She's been teaching the kids about the South Pacific and wanted someone to come and share first-hand about some of those places. I called up a childhood friend to come and share about Fiji. She said sure and volunteered her mom. So this morning, I picked up her mom (who was my Beehive advisor growing up in Tonga). She is Vika Racule's mother. On the way over to the school, she and I talked about the good old days and caught up on who's doing what. We finally got to the classroom and shared with the kids all about life growing up in the islands. I went first. Thelma went second and she did an excellent job with explaining things about Fiji. She is a teacher in High School, so she handled that class great. The kids were great anyway. She had them write down a question to ask her. It was fun to listen to what she had to say. I made panipopo for the kids to eat and they enjoyed that too. I drove Thelma back to Laie (she's here for her daughter's wedding). I took her out to lunch before taking her home. It was fun and interesting. I think interesting because I've known Thelma (my high school best friend's mom), since I was 12 years old. She's the one who gave us the YW lesson's on marriage and families and talk with us what it would be like when we are married. And now, I'm in that stage of my life. I don't know, just interesting. Thank you Julie, I enjoyed myself, and thank you to Thelma for sharing as well.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Sounds like it was a great day out. Lots of love to Thelma and her family, I had her as my English teacher in High School and I gotta say it was one of my favorite classes (ah, memories!hehe!!).
-Tiana
Why have you never made me panipopo? Did I spell that right? LOL Anyway glad you got to share your memories with the kids. Wish I could have gotten to hear some of that, I bet it was great. Because you are great! 80)
Post a Comment